RESTAURANT GENERAL MANAGER
Application Deadline: Oct. 15, 2018
Friends of Arrow Rock will take over the operation of the J. Huston Tavern — the oldest continuously operating restaurant west of the Mississippi! — on January 1, and we’re looking for an outstanding general manager who shares our commitment to providing excellent food and gracious hospitality in this unique historic setting.
- Full-time, salaried, year-round position, beginning Jan. 1, 2019 at the J. Huston Tavern in Arrow Rock, Missouri
- Salary: Commensurate with experience
- Minimum experience required: 5 years full-service restaurant experience with at least 2 years in management, or commensurate experience
The Tavern general manager is expected to:
- Practice gracious hospitality with guests, colleagues, vendors and the community.
- Interview, hire, train, oversee, and sometimes terminate employees, with assistance from the FAR executive director.
- Work with kitchen manager to manage inventory and order food and beverages, equipment, and supplies.
- Work with kitchen manager to oversee portion sizes, and the overall presentation of food.
- Establish menus and pricing in cooperation with the Tavern Advisory Committee.
- Inspect supplies, equipment, and work areas to ensure equipment is functioning properly and standards of safety and cleanliness are maintained at all times.
- Ensure employees comply with health and food safety standards and regulations.
- Schedule staff hours and assign duties.
- Prepare food budgets and track payroll & tips; Review all food-service related bills and approve for payment.
- Complete and submit monthly and annual reports required by Missouri State Parks.
- With assistance from the FAR executive director and the Tavern Advisory Committee, establish standards for personnel performance and customer service.
- Investigate and resolve complaints regarding food quality or service.
- Work to ensure every guest experience is a positive one, from initial reservation telephone call or online inquiry and through the entire dining experience.
- See that customers are served properly and in a timely manner.
- Arrange for any necessary routine maintenance or repairs on equipment.
- Ensure dining rooms, restrooms, kitchen and storage areas are maintained in an orderly and clean condition.
- Immediately report any building maintenance conditions to the FAR executive director.
- Make sure ovens and other equipment are turned off, thermostats are set to the proper overnight temperatures, and lights are turned off at the end of the work day.
- Answer telephone calls and return messages promptly.
- Circulate through the restaurant, greeting customers and inviting their feedback.
- Become proficient in the use of the cash register system and train other staff in its use.
- Monitor the dining rooms and wait staff to identify and intervene on any customer service issues.
- Offer regular trainings for staff on proper hospitality and service techniques, and schedule time with staff for education sessions on Arrow Rock and Tavern history.
- With assistance from the FAR executive director and designated board representatives, actively market the Tavern via social media, through traditional advertising, and through letters and telephone calls to tour groups.
- With input from Tavern Advisory Committee, create special events to attract customers on non-theater, non-event dates.
- Monitor restaurant review sites and respond when appropriate.
- Schedule receptions and other group events and ensure every detail for those events is considered and covered.
- With assistance from the FAR executive director and FAR treasurer or designated board representative, enter bills to pay and other financial information into QuickBooks. Provide hourly employee payroll information to the accountant on scheduled dates.
- Become educated on the J. Huston Tavern and be able to guide tours of the building and answer guest questions about its history.
- Participate in weekly management meetings with the FAR executive director and operations director to communicate about upcoming events, celebrate successes and work through issues.
- Attend quarterly FAR board of trustees meetings to report on activities at the Tavern.
Send your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to:Friends of Arrow Rock Board of Trustees c/o Sandy Selby, Executive Director P.O. Box 124 Arrow Rock, MO 65320
Or apply via email.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES! Whether you enjoy interacting with the public or prefer a quiet job in the office, Friends of Arrow Rock can use your help. We have a variety of volunteer opportunities available, from event assistants who help for a few hours a couple times a year, to office and museum shop assistants who can set up a regular schedule. Would you like to know more? Contact the executive director at 660-837-3231.