Application Deadline: Nov. 1, 2018
Friends of Arrow Rock will take over the operation of the J. Huston Tavern — the oldest continuously operating restaurant west of the Mississippi! — on January 1, and we’re looking for an outstanding head cook/chef/kitchen manager who shares our commitment to providing excellent food and gracious hospitality in this unique historic setting.Head Cook/Kitchen Manager Job Description
• Full-time, salaried, year-round position
• Salary: $35,000-$40,000
- Proven experience as head cook/chef or kitchen manager
- Ability in dividing responsibilities and monitoring progress
- Outstanding communication and leadership skills
- Up-to-date with culinary trends and optimized kitchen processes
- Good understanding of useful computer programs (MS Office, restaurant management software, POS)
- Credentials in health and safety training
- Formal training in culinary science or comparable on-the-job experience
This position would:
- Practice gracious hospitality with guests, colleagues, vendors and the community.
- Participate in and direct all food preparation.
- Work cooperatively with the Tavern General Manager to set the menu, focusing on home-style fare indicative of the offerings at the Tavern in the 1800s ⸺ fried chicken, country ham, mashed potatoes & gravy, etc.
- Work cooperatively with the Tavern General Manager to hire, train, counsel, and when necessary, dismiss kitchen staff.
- Schedule and supervise kitchen staff.
- Foster a climate of cooperation and respect between co-workers.
- Manage the inventory to ensure that an adequate supply of food products and supplies are on hand to meet demand.
- Establish relationships with vendors and research products and pricing. Order food, beverages and supplies.
- Oversee portion sizes, and the overall presentation of food.
- Inspect supplies, equipment, and work areas to ensure equipment is functioning properly and standards of safety and cleanliness are maintained at all times.
- Ensure employees comply with health and food safety standards and regulations.
- Prepare food budgets; review all food-service related bills and approve for payment.
- Work with the FAR Executive Director and/or Tavern General Manager to arrange for all necessary routine maintenance or repairs on the kitchen equipment.
- Meet with tour organizers and event planners to set food and beverage menus for special groups.
- Participate in weekly management meetings with the FAR Executive Director, Operations Director, and Tavern General Manager to communicate about upcoming events, celebrate successes and work through issues.
Send your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to:Friends of Arrow Rock Board of Trustees c/o Sandy Selby, Executive Director P.O. Box 124 Arrow Rock, MO 65320 Or apply via email.
You may also apply by downloading, completing and returning our application form.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES! Whether you enjoy interacting with the public or prefer a quiet job in the office, Friends of Arrow Rock can use your help. We have a variety of volunteer opportunities available, from event assistants who help for a few hours a couple times a year, to office and museum shop assistants who can set up a regular schedule. Would you like to know more? Contact the executive director at 660-837-3231.