This year’s tour features five unique properties — four privately owned homes, plus the historic Sites House, which is owned and maintained by Friends of Arrow Rock. Enjoy refreshments, including wine and beer, at each stop along the walking tour. At 6 p.m., we’ll gather back at the Old Schoolhouse for a delicious barbecue dinner, and fabulous live and silent auctions. All proceeds benefit the historic preservation and history education programs of the Friends of Arrow Rock!
Tickets are $65 per person and may be purchased by clicking the link below, or by calling the Friends of Arrow Rock office at 660-837-3231. Please make your event registration no later than Sept. 8 but be aware that space if limited; register early if you can.
SIP & STROLL 2017 FEATURED HOMES
Home of Paul & Kim Ratcliffe
The original portion of the home was built in the 1840s and was moved to its present location in 2015. The present home is a combination of new and old with efforts to preserve the original floors, doors, major beams and walnut siding. The new features include an Amish-made kitchen, four bedrooms and 2 full baths.
Home of Marc & Diane Prigmore
Although this house originally served as barracks at Fort Leonard Wood U.S. Army base, all 800 square feet were lovingly remodelled in 2014. In the 1950s or 60s it was moved in two pieces to Arrow Rock and has enjoyed a diversity of residents including Lyceum Theatre actors, workers on The Big Muddy River project and many other happy dwellers. The two bedroom, one bath house features a side porch which runs the entire length of the 40 foot structure.
Home and Shop of Roger & Cindy Peecher
Peecher’s Country Store owned by Roger and Cindy Peecher was established in May 2016. Previously this building was the location for The House of Mary B, a gift shop operated and owned by Tom and Mary Beamer. The Beamers purchased the building in 1992 from Chester and Joanne Gregory, who also operated it as a gift shop. The Beamers constructed additional living space in 2000.
The first building to occupy the lot was built in 1849 and suffered damage with two fires. The 1901 fire destroyed all the buildings on the north side of Main between Third and Fourth streets. The current building was rebuilt about 1902. Since the origination in 1849, the many owners include historic figures such as the Addertons, Lawlesses, Hustons, and Thorntons. Roger and Cindy continue the tradition of the old-time shopkeepers, working in the collectibles and gift shop while residing in the rear portion of the building.
It is interesting to note that a ghost was known to make an appearance several times a year to previous owners. The spirit appeared to be a young child about 3 feet tall. However, when the new addition was added, the ghost disappeared!
Home of Gary McCarthy & Dan Alldredge
Dan Alldredge and Gary McCarthy purchased this home in 2016 and hired a contractor to begin working. Our journey began in earnest October of last year. We eventually had to replace most of the old floor joists and correct problems with the piers supporting the house. Water had infiltrated many areas under the house, so we wound up replacing the driveway and removing decades old concrete sidewalks to improve the drainage around the house.
This has been a most rewarding adventure for us both, sometimes fraught with headaches of “Why did we do this??!”, but we are finally enjoying our weekend/extended stay home. We decided early on in the process we wanted a “modern conveniences home,” but with accent pieces of yesterday, mixed in with more modern pieces with a slight nod to industrial. One feature in particular worth noting is our handmade dining table. Old floor joists from the house were used to construct the table!
We know from records this house was moved to this location in 1903, from a previous site on Van Buren St. here in Arrow Rock. That location is unknown along with the precise date the home was built. During our restoration, we looked for clues from within the walls, square headed nails, larger timbers etc., but found nothing conclusive to date the home. Based on what we did see and educated guesses from experts here in the village, we can place construction sometime in the 1880s. The home has changed hands many times in 100 years plus, but the longest stretch of ownership was from the phone company! The house served as the phone office from the late 1940s through the 1960s. Evidence of that was from old telephone poles still being used as foundation skirting around the house.
The Sites House
The downstairs of this house dates from the 1830s, and it was originally constructed as a modest, Federal-style cottage. Gunsmith Johnny Sites and his wife Nannie bought the house in 1866, and by the mid-1870s were remodeling it. They literally raised the roof and added two bedrooms upstairs, plus a more elaborate front porch. By the time they had finished, the Federal style cottage had become a Victorian home. Over time, this house underwent many more alterations, but when the Friends of Arrow Rock acquired the Sites House and Gun Shop in 1966, they chose to restore it to the Victorian style it wore so well when it was home to the Sites family. The Friends completed restoration work in 1973. Successful second restorations of both the Sites Gun Shop and House in 1991 earned the Friends of Arrow Rock the Albert B. Corey Award, the highest national award given a local historical organization by the American Association for State and Local History. Recent work, funded in part by the Jeffris Family Foundation, made possible some much needed drainage improvements around the house and added insulation to the home’s attic.
LIVE AUCTION ITEMS
Join us after dinner for a live auction featuring these must-have items and experiences!
- Lunch & Vintage Auto Tour at Prairie Park for six, on a mutually agreeable date.
- Lunch & hard hat tour of Blosser House renovation, for six on a mutually agreeable date in spring 2018, donated by Dr. Arthur and Mrs. Carolyn Elman & Blosser House Events.
- Saline County Tour for four, led by Dr. Tom Hall and chauffeured by Marty Selby
- A Night Of Owl-Out Fun With Missouri River Bird Observatory and Chez Trappeur. As Northern Saw-Whet owls visit our village, Chez Trappeur will provide wine and hors d’oeuvres as you join MRBO staff in their efforts to capture this enigmatic and mysterious species. The dates are limited to an evening between Nov. 1 and 7, 2017.
- Arrow Rock Progressive Dinner
- 2018 Lyceum Theatre Season Tickets for two
- Tickets for five to the Kansas City Royals Vs. Arizona Diamondbacks on Saturday, Sept. 30. Includes five front row tickets plus a parking pass, and it’s George Brett Bobblehead Day!
- Original landscape painting by Keith Anderson
- Four rounds of golf plus dinner (including wine) for up to eight at Jefferson City Country Club on a mutually agreed upon date
- 82″ x 82″ Red/White/Black Quilt
SILENT AUCTION ITEMS
This year’s silent auction includes an extraordinary variety of items, including art pieces, vintage collectibles and edible delights.
- “Passage” – Print by Keith Anderson
- “American Geisha” – Print by Keith Anderson
- Wine Basket
- Framed Limited Edition Arrow Rock Collage Prints by James K. Bixby
- Cut Glass Jar w/Peanut Butter Fudge
- Rooster Print in Gold Frame
- Cordial Set w/Bottle of Drambuie
- “Rocky-A Pesky Arrow Rock Squirrel”. Knit by Nancy Blossom
- “Ozzie The River Otter”. Knit by Nancy Blossom
- Cinnamon Rolls
- Gorham, Hand Painted Limited Edition. Frederick Remington Series Chargers.
- Almond Bear Claws
- Pickled Beets
- Mariana Necklace
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie from Rolling Pin Bakery
- Cherry Pie from Rolling Pin Bakery
- “Winter Scene” – Original Watercolor
- “Railroad Car” – Original Pen & Ink w/Watercolor Wash
- (6) Mini Black Chandelier Lamp Shades
- Gooseberry Pie w/Pie Plate
- Salsa Baskets w/4 Pints of Salsa
- Handmade Ceramic Plate by Linda Hoffman
- Pecan Pie from Rolling Pin Bakery
- Dutch Apple Pie from Rolling Pin Bakery
- Colorful “Doggie” Cloth Bag Created by Betty Sue Simonson
- Colorful Halloween “Kitty” Cloth Bag Created by Betty Sue Simonson
- 2′x3′ Colorful Braided Rugs
- Faux Fur Cowl Neck Scarf
- Suede “Cell Phone” Gloves (2 Pair)
- Black Handmade Knit Cowl – Acrylic Yarn
- Black Handbag w/Monetary Surprise Inside!
- Brass Candlestick Candelabra “Extender”
- Nambe Pop (Set of 4) Small Bowls
- Colorful Woven African Market Baskets
- “A Mess of Three Fence Fish.” Handcrafted Folk Art.
- Moscow Mule Cocktail Basket w/ Copper Mugs
- Wine Basket w/Homemade Bread
- Green Vaseline Glass Stand w/Cookies
- Vintage Linen Set w/Cross Stitch Design. Circa 1960s.
- (3) Blown Pressed Glass Syrup Pitchers
- Eight-Piece China Chocolate Set
- Canary Opalescent Vaseline Glass Corn Vase
- Samsonite Shwader Bros. Faux Leather 1920′s Carmel Vintage Suitcase
- Large Ironstone Shaving Mug
- Meakin Oval Platter
- Powell-Bishop Oval Platter
- Johnson Bros (1883-1913) Rectangular Ironstone Platter
- (2) Bottles of Wine
- Hummingbird Cake
- Scrimshaw ‘Salt’ Horn Created by Mike Roberts
- Pumpkin Pound Cake w/ Cheesecake Glaze
- Pineapple Upside Down Cakes
- Basket w/Select Teas/Home-Made Breads & Tea Pot
- Handmade Pottery Pouring Vessel. Made by Greig Thompson
- Handmade Pottery Vase. Made by Greig Thompson