SHARING THE MISSOURI LEGACY
Arrow Rock School Programs
Spring 2023 April 25- May 26
Programs meet Missouri Social Study Standards for all grade school levels
First, Second, Third & Fourth Grades
FAMILY LIFE AND SCHOOL DAYS IN THE 1800S
Visit the log schoolhouse where the schoolmarm will teach readin’, ritin’, and ‘rithmetic while students practice penmanship using quill pens and slates. Proper manners and rules for living are emphasized. Hands-on activities including chores and pastimes will help students envision daily life in the 1830s home of Gunsmith John P. Sites and his wife Nannie.
Missouri Social Studies Standards
2.PC.1.E 2.H.3.A 2.H.3.C
Third, Fourth, Fifth & Sixth Grades
NATURAL AND CULTURAL HISTORY OF ARROW ROCK
Explore the natural history and native habitats of Arrow Rock and the Boonslick Region on a guided nature hike taking students to the historic Missouri River Landing Trail. Historically this route led Arrow Rock’s visitors and residents to the treasured freshwater spring and stream that still flows into the Missouri River today. Learn about current and historic plant and animal life; imagine what the river, bluff and forest-lined stream habitats looked like in the 1800s. Understand the value and use of the natural resources for Arrow Rock inhabitants and visitors. Program includes a tour of the 1830’s J. Huston Tavern and Mercantile, once a premiere establishment for lodging, meals and supplies, which also served as a backdrop for the paintings of frontier artist George Caleb Bingham.
3.E.4.D 3.EG.5.C.a 3.EG.5.D 4th Grade 4.EG.5.D 4.EG.5.E 4.EG.5.G 5th Grade 5.E.4.D.a 5.EG.5.D 5.EG.5.E 5.EG.5.G.a
3.LS1.A.1 3.LS1.B.1 3.LS3.C.1 3.LS3.D.1 4.LS1.A.1 5.LS2.B.1
Nature programs led by the Missouri River Bird Observatory. To learn more about the organization, visit mrbo.org.
Historic Arrow Rock School Programs meet Missouri Social Study Standards for all grade school levels.
HOW TO REGISTER
Call 660-837-3330 between the hours of 8AM & 3:30PM Monday–Friday. Programs available Tuesday–Friday only, and are scheduled to begin at 9 – 10 a.m. and will last approximately two hours.
Please have the following info ready when you call:
- Name of school or group attending
- School address, phone number & email address
- Name & contact information for lead teacher or trip organizer
- Choice of program
- Preferred date & alternate date
- Grade level or age group of students
- Number of students, teachers & parents attending
- Time of arrival & departure
- Best time to reach you
- Special information about your class
April 25 — May 26, 2023
- 50 students or fewer per program
- Special arrangements can be made for groups of
- 50 or more
- 5.00 for each student & for each adult
- One teacher per class is admitted free
- Limited scholarships are available to offset program cost. Inquire at 660-837-3330.
- Payment should be made on arrival, including the per person fee for additional adults
- Checks payable to Friends of Arrow RockPurchase orders accepted
Where to start
- Arrow Rock State Historic Site Visitors Center
- Bus parking available